We all deserve a cheeky celebration drink every now and then, and there are lots of low FODMAP cocktails to choose from so you don’t have to miss out!
Before you sip your next cocktail here are a few things to remember:
- Choose a low FODMAP alcohol. Vodka, whiskey, gin & wine are all great options. Just stay away from rum & sweet dessert wines which are definitely high FODMAP. If you are a tequila fan then approach with caution, as this alcohol has unknown FODMAP content.
- Check your mixes. Check all tonic waters, sodas and juices, and pre-made cocktail mixes for sneaky high FODMAP ingredients. They often have honey, high fructose corn syrup, agave syrup, apple, mango or other high FODMAP fruits.
- Limit your intake. Even though some alcohols are low FODMAP, they can still irritate your gut and trigger symptoms in some people. This means you need to know your limits! Consider limiting your intake to one standard drink for females, and two standard drinks for men.
10 Low FODMAP Cocktails & Mocktails For You to Enjoy
Here are 10 absolutely delicious cocktails for you to try on your next night out…. Just don’t drink them all at once!
1. Kiwi Crush
Packed full of kiwifruit and lime juice with a splash of vodka and a squeeze of lime this cocktail is deliciously fruity. Just make sure your soda is low FODMAP!
Recipe (serves 1)
1/2 lime (cut into small pieces
1 kiwifruit (peeled & diced)
1 tbsp fresh cilantro
1 tsp white sugar (more to taste)
2 ounces vodka
Small ice cubes
Top with club soda
Garnish with sliced kiwifruit & lime
Crush the lime, kiwifruit, cilantro & sugar together with a mudder. Drop in the ice, and mix through the vodka & club soda. Garnish with slices of lime and kiwifruit.
2. Gin & Tonic
It’s an oldie but a goodie! Whether you like it plain and simple with straight gin & tonic, or with a slice of lemon and some peppercorns, this drink is a wonderfully safe option while on the low FODMAP diet.
3. Cucumber Cape Codder
Vodka paired with crisp cranberry juice, cucumber simple syrup and a squeeze of lime. It might seem like an odd combo but this cocktail is delightfully refreshing. Just check your cranberry juice isn’t sweetened with apple juice or high fructose corn syrup. Recipe on marthastewart.com
4. Virgin Pina Colada
5. New Years Eve Sparkler
Create a delicious mixture of cranberry juice, vodka, champagne and sugar then serve in a champagne flute.
6. Moscow Mule
Recipe (Serves 1)
2 tbsp lime juice
Small ice cubes
200ml ginger beer
Lime wedges to garnish
7. Lemonade Mimosa
This simple but elegant drink is perfect for the races or a New Year’s Eve party! Simply fill the champagne flute with half lemonade and half champagne. Just make sure you choose a lemonade that does not include high fructose corn syrup.
8. Wild Blueberry Ginger Mint Green Iced Tea
Technically iced tea isn’t a cocktail,but this beautiful low FODMAP drink will not look out of place at your next celebration! Check out the Spicy RD’s Wild Blueberry Ginger Mint Green Iced Tea.
9. Boozey Whisky Lemon Smash
This super simple boozey whisky lemon smash is sure to be a crowd pleaser! All you need is mint, fresh lemon, whiskey, simple syrup and ice. Get the recipe from bonappetit.com
10. Lemon Drop Martini
The lemon drop martini is the perfect balance of semi-sweet and semi tart flavour to inspire your taste buds. All you need is vodka, lemon juice, and simple syrup (water & sugar mixture). Get the recipe from The Spruce